I started this blog in 2011 when I took my first master's level poetry class with Dr. Sylvia Vardell at Texas Woman's University. Critiquing poetry and young adult literature is addicting! Teachers, be sure to note the curriculum connections I create at the end of each of many of my reviews!

Monday

Amazing Faces (Hopkins Collection)

Book Cover compliments of Titlewave

Bibliography

Poems selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins. (2010). Amazing Faces. Illustrated by Chris Soentpiet. New York: Lee & Low Books. ISBN 1-60060-334-1

Review 
This illustrated anthology of 16 poems reveals the depth and breadth of human emotions as seen in the faces of adults and children of all ethnic backgrounds in America. Everyday life experiences are captured by poets such as Nikki Grimes, Joseph Bruchac, Langston Hughes, Lee Bennett Hopkins, Pat Mora and more. Evoking universal emotional response, the rich watercolor illustrations of Chris Soentpiet that cover a page and a half of each spread bring alive the diverse cultures and familiar emotions reflected in faces such as a gleeful baby, dreaming boy, preening pre-teen, isolated child, rejoicing football fan, tired firefighter. The images are balanced by the corresponding poem on the opposite side of the spread reflected on an ivory background. Poems vary in style and size, but connect harmonious to the overall theme of the amazing beauty of faces.


Honors
Great Lakes Great Books Awards Nominee 
Michigan Reading Association

Best Children's Books of the Year 
Bank Street College of Education

Texas Bluebonnet Masterlist 
Texas Library Association (TLA)

"Starred Review" 
Publishers Weekly and Library Media Connection
Sample poem

Miss Stone

My wishes gathered like ants.
I wished there was no recess.
I wished there was no first day.
I wished somebody, anybody
Would come over and ask me to play.

Then you said, “Excuse me.
Would you keep me company?
I’m feeling all alone.”

Remember,  Miss Stone?

I loved you that day.
You made my unhappy thoughts
Scamper away.

Nikki Grimes

Connections
After reading "Miss Stone", extend students' imaginations by making up and sharing a possible story about this little girl on the playground on this particular day. Include the main elements of a short story. Afterward, have each student choose one of the poems and illustrations and privately brainstorm about the story behind that scene. Have each student free-write images and impressions and then a brief storyline including the elements of a story based on the poem and illustration, and then orally share their “story behind the story” within a small group. 

Have students select one of the award-winning poets from the book and do online research on the poet. Be sure students include the poet's website in their research. Students will find another poem by the poet as well. The following day, have students share what they learned about the poet as well as the additional poem with a small group.