I started this blog in 2011 when I took my first master's level poetry class with Dr. Sylvia Vardell at Texas Woman's University. Critiquing poetry and young adult literature is addicting! Teachers, be sure to note the curriculum connections I create at the end of each of many of my reviews!

Monday

The Way a Door Closes (African American Poetry)

Book Cover compliments of Titlewave

Bibliography

Smith, Hope Anita. The Way a Door Closes. Ill. by Shane W. Evans. New York: Henry Holt and Company. 2003. ISBN 0-8050-6477

Review 
A moving story told in 34 poems, The Way a Door Closes is told by a 13 year old African American boy whose warm family life is broken when his father loses his job and leaves the family without warning. Moving from secure, idyllic poems about family mealtimes, outings with Dad, family pictures, and rich lessons from Grandmomma, the short, free verse poems take a coming-of-age turn as the boy wrestles with wide-ranging emotions that ultimately lead him to accept the circumstances and embrace his family with new commitment. Shane Evans detailed oil painting illustrations in soft browns and occasional splashes of red capture the richness of the nuclear and extended family relationships. Stirring and finally hope filled, the poems will strike a cord in the heart of readers who have experienced family difficulties and loss of a parent figure.


Honors
John Steptoe Award - Author 2004

"Starred Review" 
School Library Journal
Sample poem

Not Today

As soon as I walk through
The door
I know that Daddy is still
Gone.
I kiss Momma on the cheek
And taste the salt from her tears.
I swallow the lump in my throat
Over and over again.
She looks me in the eye,
And I see
An invitation.
She is inviting me to join her
For a good cry.
But instead
I put my arm around her and
I tell her not to worry.
I will take care of her.
I will take care of all of us.
I say I could even take a break
From school
Until we get things squared away.
I say I’m not a little kid anymore,
She can depend on me.
And then Momma is wailing,
“Noooooooo!”
And she grabs me and 
Slaps me hard across the face
And the sting brings tears
Instantly.
Momma looks relieved.
I hold my cheek and I say,
“Why, Momma? Why?”
And she hugs me hard
And through our tears
I hear her say,
“Time enough for you to be a man
tomorrow
but not today.”

Connections
(For upper middle-high school age)
After reading the poem “Not Today,” ask each student to think of an event in their earlier years when they felt like they “were not a little kid any more.” Invite students to create their own poem about this incident or create a work of art that captures that memory. 

After reading “History Repeating (Almost),” ask students to reflect on their own families of origin and make a list of things that they want to repeat in their own families and things they want to change. As a class, create a wall mural of words and images that depict the hopes that they have for their future families. 

To girl readers who want a similar book dealing with a parent who leaves, suggest “One Crazy Summer” by Rita Williams-Garcia.